Express
Zoom | 4WD Action | Fast Fours | Aussie Brutes | HPI | Xtreme Holdens | Hot4s | Street Fords | Extreme Street | Caravan & Motorhome | Magstore
Back to Street Commodores Home Back to Street Commodores Home Current Issue
Unread 01-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
ibs87
Executive Member

Ride: 06 ignition ve ss-v 6spd
Default GTS's..any differences??

Jus wondering if theres was any differences in the GTS's that have been released with the C4b 300 engine between VT,VX,VY and VZ. Are they all rated the same power? What do they come standard with as in exhaust, suspension and brake setups? Ne help would be great
ibs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
macca_779
VIP

The engines as advertised put out the same power. Although the VTII GTS didn't have the LS6 manifold like the later VX and then on all other LS1's did. I dont have a VTII GTS tune to see if there was any possible detuning in the later ones to bring them together but the LS6 manifold is worth approx 10rwkw. Suspension would be pretty much the same except for the last of the VY's which had the option of ohlins adjustables. Brakes the VT's had 4 pot fronts then I think it was VX they started using 6 pot fronts. Exhaust would be much the same too.. O and all the C4B engines were highly suseptible to chewing out cam lobes and braking their shitty valve springs. Sadly the humble stock LS1 is actually more reliable.
Unread 01-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
reaper
SV6 Member

Ride: VX SV300

They started the 6 pot brakes in the V2 GTS coupes (the VX didn't have them). The valve spring issue is pretty common, used to replace quite a few when I was an apprentice. I didn't see any cam lobe failures, but have read plenty of reported cases. My SV300 has got 43,000km on the clock and hasn't had any valve spring issues yet, but I'm getting the cam swapped out in a month or two along with some good valve springs just to be on the safe side (the extra power won't hurt either )
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
chody
Executive Member

google is your friend.
chody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
ibs87
Executive Member

Ride: 06 ignition ve ss-v 6spd

cheers guys..yeh jus wanted to know from this forums point of view not googles. So wat u saying thes engines arent as reliable as the ls1? Only askn coz im lookn at buying a new hsv n the gts is an option.
ibs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
macca_779
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibs87 View Post
cheers guys..yeh jus wanted to know from this forums point of view not googles. So wat u saying thes engines arent as reliable as the ls1? Only askn coz im lookn at buying a new hsv n the gts is an option.
Only reason I say they aren't as reliable is because of the statistics. The failure rate of C4B's is astounding. I know quite a lot of guys with them and easily over half have had spring or cam issues, if not both. Don't let that turn you off them. Its a brilliant excuss to spend a mere 1k and put some decent gear in there.
Unread 04-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
HSV#001

Ride: Guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibs87 View Post
Jus wondering if theres was any differences in the GTS's that have been released with the C4b 300 engine between VT,VX,VY and VZ. Are they all rated the same power? What do they come standard with as in exhaust, suspension and brake setups? Ne help would be great
one big difference here, there wasnt a VZ GTS.. thought id just point that out :-)
HSV#001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Macca33
VIP

Send a message via MSN to Macca33

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
Only reason I say they aren't as reliable is because of the statistics. The failure rate of C4B's is astounding. I know quite a lot of guys with them and easily over half have had spring or cam issues, if not both. Don't let that turn you off them. Its a brilliant excuss to spend a mere 1k and put some decent gear in there.

I agree - the C4B engine - CnC'd heads, etc is a good thing, but it was let down by a mismatching of the valvesprings used to control the the more aggressive cam. The camshaft itself was a fairly good grind, as far as specs go, but the mismatched valvetrain led to failures.

As a result, there would be excessive lifter float off the cam lobe (caused by valvesprings that were not rated high enough) and when the lifters crashed back down onto the lobes, damage would occur - microscopic damage mind you, so it would take a while for anything to break. Some camshafts (one that I saw and measured myself) have had 1/8" (3mm) gouges taken out of the lobes.

So, if I was to purchase a C4B-engined car, I'd be changing camshaft / lifters / valvesprings at the get go - unless that has already been done.

cheers,

Macca

2001 HSV Senator 300
C4B - ETP215s 62cc, Comp 215/223 .601/.609 @111+3, Manley 8.050" 5/16" P/R, Morel Link-bar lifters, Powerbond 25% UDP, 36lb injectors, SLP pump, Rollmaster chain, OTRCAI, T-56 - RipShift, 3.91:1 rear, DiFilippo 1.75" 4-1s, twin 3" st/st cat-back, 3" metal substrate hi-flow cats. AP-Racing 6/4-pots. EFIlive COS3 SD tune. 308rwkW(413rwhp)
Macca33 is offline   Reply With Quote