Express
Zoom | 4WD Action | Fast Fours | Aussie Brutes | HPI | Xtreme Holdens | Hot4s | Street Fords | Extreme Street | Caravan & Motorhome | Magstore
Back to Street Commodores Home Back to Street Commodores Home Current Issue
Unread 28-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #241
project VH
Executive Member

Ride: VH Commodore
Default Project VH

Well still slowly creeping up to the final bits to do on the VH but have come to a bit of a stop for a few days as the rain has appeared and cant do any work while it hangs around, but i did remember about a small water leak i had into the drivers footwell and checked the car last night to see if it still leaking and yes.
Ive tried pouring water into the cavity where the wiper motor sits, as well as on the joint of the front panel to the body and even on the corner of the windscreen rubber knowing that they tent to leak here but can not find it.
Is there an easy way to find the leak i can see what seems like a small spot of rust under the dash on the wall above the hood lever but the water dont seem to drip from there when i looked unless it needs a good high pressure like a heavey storm rain? I am hoping that the rubeer to the windscreen dont need to be redone or worse still rust under the rubber, i might get and rip off the front guard to check it out but before i do is there a way to check it first saving time and what would be a good quick easy remidy cheers.
project VH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #242
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Ok might scratch the last post about the leak the rain has stopped long enough to have a look see and guess what i found, yep a leak, not from the windscreen and not from up high somewhere but almost on the floor where your heel would sit roughly when driving.
I poured water from a watering can into the area where the wiper motor sits and spotted water seeping into the floor, got the old screw driver out and poked a little to remove the black sealer away and then found a small small hole enough to slide a plastic cable tie through.
When i pour a little water down it seems to roll under the front guard enough to flow into the car.
Ill put a pick up soon to show ya bloody hell oh well at least i dont have to pull the screen out lol thank god.
Unread 06-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #243
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Hey yet a little more done to the old girl as i told ya last post i have found the water leak in the drivers footwell (i hope thats all there was) a small hole in the front corner beside the acc pedal.
(First shot is a video of the leak using a watering can half full of water pouring into the wiper motor bay next to the front guard, glad its not the screen)
(click the pic to run video)

Some more trim got a hit of color to tidy up the inside at the computer need to get a plain one for the driver side as the two it had origally had speakers in it.

I also got to the airbox and squared it up to the bay and now looks far better plus the little ait intake is on it now too, even if it does nine tenths of stuff all it there.

I have started to check the motor for the leaks i have and i think the power steering is ok just need to check more up high on the unit and fill with fluid, when i filled it last time it seems to disapair quickly but im hoping that it was filling the rack or something as the hole system was empty have to wait and see.
The trans has from what i can see two leaks one coming from the front of the pan, after running the engine for five minutes it seeps out not a lot but enough. I am thinking that as i have changed the filter and the gasket on it i have tightened the bolts back up too tight( hope thats all it could be maybe need to back em off) how knows.
The other leak is the lower pipe joint that runs back to the radiator i am thinking that the pipe may need to be re flaired as the trans fluid seeps out from between the nut and the pipe unless the nut is stuffed.
Yet to bleed brakes, what is the easiest way to do it as ive never done it before i have sort of an idea, anyway thats it for now hoping to attack it over the weekend friday is an rdo at work and looks like the weather will be ok to nut out the fluid leaks see what happens cheers

Last edited by project VH; 06-03-2012 at 05:00 PM..
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #244
sweeney
SV6 Member

Ride: VN Berlina 5 , 64 Chevy Lowrid

looks like its come along way man keep up the good work and the progress pics
sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #245
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Hi guys i am hoping that someone can shed some light to another problem i have, the VH has VN front end with of corse VN brake calipers, i am in the middle of tring to bleed the brakes and have done so on the rear drum brakes to my best understanding i think they are done.
I have tried to do the front and found that the bleed valve spits nothing out from either front ones, i seem to have brake fluid coming from the brake hose bolted to the caliper but when i tighten it up i dont get anything from the bleeder. I even fully removed the valve to see if i get anything but nothing so im thinking that the caliper is stuffed. So this leads me to my question, can i remove the two front calipers and replace them with the older VH calipers i have from the old front end i had in the car originally?
Also i have two bottles of brake fluid one being Valvoline and the other Castrol both Dot 4 type but both are different in color can i still use both in the same system?
Other than this so far the finishing touches are still in progress, i have bleed the power steering system and checking the transmission only seems to be a small leak from the front of the trand pan even thou i replaced the gasket, am going to check the tightness of the pan bolts may be in need of further tightening.
I have rejoined the trans selector rod and screwed the tbar into place, am getting ever closer to the end crossed fingers the middle of the year, still yet to get the electronic speedo then we can go see the engineer yippee.cheers guys
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #246
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Ok guys i think that the transmission leak i have is from the inspection plate cover thingo as mine is a series one motor and auto, it seems to be slight dripping from the bottom of it, i need to know if this cover should have a gasket and how many bolts should be there to bolt it in and there are a few holes up the side of it that dont have any bolt in as yet are these needed.
Any help would be great as i have checked that th ebolts to the oil pan are tight and the leak seems to be from the bottom front of this cover cheers
Unread 14-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #247
VK_3800
Executive Member

Ride: VK Commodore

Sounds a bit like your master cylinder hasn't been bled properly. The rears are easy because with drum brakes there is a little residual pressure valve in the outlet which acts a bit like a non-return valve, but the front circuit might need to be bled at the master before it will push fluid through under pressure (even via the bleeders it can be enough of a restriction to make this an issue).

If you only have standard VN brakes with the same diameter disc as the VH ones then yes you can use the VH calipers if it comes to that.

Using two different color fluids is handy when bleeding - you shouldn't really mix them in the system but you don't - it just makes it easy to see when you've flushed fresh fluid all the way through as you will see the color change at the bleeder.
VK_3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #248
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Well still plodding along with the VH, bit of a mix od work, family, weather and the cbf's for slow progress lately but it will get there, still aimming for the middle of the year.
Got there yesterday and did a little more ajusting and tieing back with the battery lead that was hanging a bit around the front wheel, now i just need to tie it up under the motor out of the way and another job done.
Still need to get the electronic spedo and work out how to fit it in and working and i think ill get a new tacho same size and style to match and look a little better or just work out the wiring to get the stock VH one working with the VN dash loom.
I know this should probobly be in another section but couldnt work out where to go with it so here it is anyway, The VN diff i have im still thinking of just wacking that in the back and get rid of the drum brake diff im running at the moment. I know the diff is wider by about 1 -2 inch but if i put it in and run the 16 inch rims i have on (225/50 R16 tyres) would it work if i put in the VN diff with the rims on it and standard ride height etc and no mods to the wheel arches?????
cheers guys back with more as sson as it happens...
Unread 19-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #249
PFI82
Platinum 8yr Member

standard height you might get away with the VN diff and 225's. Probably just scrub if the suspension bottoms out. Depends a lot on the offset of the wheel. I do know someone who had a VL with a VN diff and 225/50/16 Simmons and it used to rub the guard - but it was lowered about 1.5 inches
PFI82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #250
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

In the next few days ill get some measurements from the rims to check offset, the ride height to my knowladge is stock height you might be able to spot how it sits in an older pic with the rims. It would be good if i can use this diff without the hassle of trimming it down to fit.
Unread 23-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #251
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Just an updated pic of the car with the damaged rim repaired would never tell now where the repair was.

Cant wait to get it back on the road almost there...
Unread 23-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #252
Ajvx01
Clubsport Member

Ride: Vc 308

Looks great on those wheels man.. Would love a set myself.

Good progress.
Ajvx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #253
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajvx01 View Post
Looks great on those wheels man.. Would love a set myself.

Good progress.
Cheers mate i like the rims too when i first seen them on Ebay i thourght they were 16 " VS senators but since found out they are copys but still look fantastic.
Unread 22-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #254
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project vh

Well I have been in two minds of late, I'm in the market for a new job and if I get one I'll get a payout from long service. The vh has a few bits still to do including the engineer report, rego, auto leak and speedo so do I a/ finish the car or b/ get rid of it and get a VN / s that don't need a engineer report and fix that up?
What to do I like the look of the old girl but tired of the little bits still in the way and also what if it don't pass the rwc or engineer more money needed.
Unread 22-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #255
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Ok please disregard the last message had more of a think today about the VH and realized im stickin with the old girl, im not total in need to have it ready sooner rather than later so the old girl lives on lol cheers
Unread 22-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #256
Grange153
SV6 Member

Ride: VS III Grange #153

Good choice, definitely stick with the old girl.
Former owner of VS Grange #153
Grange153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #257
project VH
Executive Member

Question, I have in the V6 at present the stock type VN thermo engine fan set up but I also have in the shed a twin thermo from a Territory and wondering should I stay with the current set up or mod the twin fan and fit to the radiator ?????
Unread 11-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #258
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Hey guys me again I think I may just leave the VN style thermo/engine fan in place rather than having to uproot a lot of bits to put a twin thermo fan in place, I don't see it making to much difference. I also wonder if I need the VH detent switch that sits under the dash and the accelerator pedal hits it when fully pressed in, I take it that this was replaced by a kick down cable on VN if so I will remove it.
And when adjusting the kickdown cable it seems to move to the first two clicks would this be right, maybe need to ask this in the other part cheers.
Unread 10-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #259
BigApe
Pedestrian

Ride: HBD WKCaprice,HDT VRSS, VHSLE

Nice conversion, I am doing the same to my VH SLE and was wondering how you got the vn-vs shifter and linkages to work and get the shifter surround into place?.
Any advice would be cool.
BigApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #260
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Thanks mate still got to finish her, a bit hard when the weather is wet and family commitments on good days lol, anyway the tbar wasn't to hard to fit I removed the old VH plate where the old t bar was mounted to as its just held on by rivits.
I think from memory I had to mod the end of the bar where the selector rod fits to undernieth the car from the t bar, you could just get a new bit of plate to cover the hole where the original t bar sat and cut a new hole to fit the VN/S type as it sits a little differently than the older type.
I also added a little more length to the selector rod and also had to reshape the rod a little to work. Hope this is of help ill try to find some pics or get some pics of the set up to help if you need, would like to see pics of your progress on your ride too.
Good luck mate cheers
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #261
BigApe
Pedestrian

I hear ya, I wanted to fit the standard shifter but when the shifter is in park the vr gearbox rod wont reach by 15mm. I then got the vr shifter in and made it work but it sat to far to the right for the console to go back in.
I was gonna give up and just fit a B&m quicksilver shifter.
Thats when I started to look on the forum and came across your excellent thread.
I will get some pics on for you.
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #262
BigApe
Pedestrian

Here are a few photos for you, sorry bout the quality they are taken with iphone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[1].jpg
Views:	34
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	163832   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[2].jpg
Views:	32
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	163833  
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #263
BigApe
Pedestrian

another shot
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	30
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	163834  
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #264
BigApe
Pedestrian

I think I need to resize these so I dont have to do a million post to put some photos up.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	32
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	163835  
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #265
BigApe
Pedestrian

I have since moved the charcoal canister down onto the inner rail, near the radiator to clean up the area below the overflow bottle.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	39
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	163837  
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #266
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Very cool Big Ape likeing it so far, ive been thinking about the cold air intake for mine watching ebay for one. Love the rims seen a few in the street commodore mag with thise rims and they look great.
The charcoal canister does look better moved closer to the radiator out of the way more neater I think and factory looking too, are you running the battery in the boot or engine bay? and have you run the engine yet, a great feeling when it comes to life. Maybe you could post a video of the old girl on start up, also just a thought you could use "Photobucket.com.au" for your pics, you just have to join (free) then save pics to it the copy url I think it was to you post on here to get pics across I find it better.
Inside looks neat and clean, what sort of set up are you going to do with the tacho and speedo?
I am in the middle of working out a way to rig up the old speedo to the VN trans via a convertor cable to run the original speedo cable to the guage yet to get into that but lol, I was origally going to use the VN cluster so I could plug the looms straight into the back and be done with but the cluster is slightly larger than the VH, then I seen what VK3800 had done to his VK in NZ and was looking into that, then (ha ha) a dash change to VR but then settled on original VH with a converter set up to run the stock gauges as I didn't want to run after market types like everyone else seem to.
Its getting there lol, ill try to get those t bar pics up soon cheers
Oh here is a pic might be able to see what I did to mod the tbar location I just as I said drilled out the rivets and remove the old cover plate then placed in the newer t bar then covered the rest of the hole with thin plate a bit rough but it worked

Last edited by project VH; 12-07-2012 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: adding pics
Unread 13-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #267
BigApe
Pedestrian

Thanks Project vh, The CAI should fit but might need some mods to let the bonnet close.
Stiil thinking about the battery I am sure it could end up in the boot.
Engine hasnt been run in this car yet, just need my wiring harness from Pat Gardiner and my fuel pump wired in and I am away.
The tacho will remain stock as it will run of the new harness and the VDO will run of the VR computer speedo output. trying to keep the stock dash in place cause I like it.
I have worked out how to keep the stock shifter, as you said lengthen the shifter linkage the I will modify a vr shifter arm to suit my stock one keeping most of the originality in the interior.
Will keep you posted on my findings.
Unread 11-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #268
project VH
Executive Member

Hey guys just a short update got back into the build recently fixed the wipers up and now they park at the bottom of the screen as the should thanks to a modded VN commodore wiper circuit board via markovr who is on another commodore site.
The problem was when you shut to wipers off where ever they were on the screen they would stop there.
Another little job at moment is I have changed the six T3 wedge type dash cluster globes with white LED ones, much better I tell ya worth doing yet to do the other dash lights. Also the SLE 'C' pillar light for some reason had no metal tab bits to hold the globe in them so off to jaycar in town to get these stick on strip type LED lights.
Ive added a few pics for you viewing hope you like cheers more updates to come.

Unread 15-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #269
project VH
Executive Member

Finally got the 'C' pillar lights going and must say at night am very very happy with the result what do you guys think?

and the dash lights

really loving these LEDs now to do the other interior light on the roof and some green ones under the dash for the foot wells
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #270
project VH
Executive Member

Ok guys and girls I was a little confussed about weather or not to put this into the VB to VK section or the electrical section so ill put it here and hope for the best, sorry if it annoys anyone.
Right I have a few questions for you guys to help find answers so here goes.
1/ I have the battery in the boot using a length of welding cable for the power to the car but am not quite sure on the best way to check the lead from front to back to see if there is any voltage drop in the lead, as the battery tends to die off after a while.
2/ The car a VH commodore has a VN V6 and auto in her and would like to know if I can get away with running two hoses for the transmission from the radiator back to say about ten inches of pipe exiting the gearbox as when I dropped in the motor I forgot to place the pipes in and now they don't sit right and sit a little close to the headers and I don't realy wish to pull the motor out to fix this.
3/ Back to electrical, with the battery lead can I inlarge the hole in the passenger wheel arch where the brake line runs to feed the batt lead in and back down to the starter to tidy it up.
4/ Whats the biggest I can go with the rims on a diff from VN if I put it under the back of the VH as I have a VN diff and the diff in her at the moment is VH drum.
Can I put the VN diff in without any mods or what mods would be needed.
5/ Is it possible to place a VR power antenna on the VH and use the VH outer cover bit to look like original.
6/ I have the full VN loom in the car but am using a VT/X interior light and wish to work out the order to wire up the switch on the light to work. Also to let you know I have a VR/S head light switch in place of the older VH unit so no longer have the option to turn light on via here.
7/ I have a VN column in running the VR type wiper switch, I have intermittin and 1 and 2 speeds working only now I wish to connect the vearable part od the wiper switch into it if possible. If its way to hard I will swap to a normal VR wiper switch.

I hope all this makes sence and you understand why I put it here as it is mostly VN stuff any help will be great cheers
Unread 25-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #271
project VH
Executive Member

Quick update with the old girl she now has green LEDs in the front footwells what do you guys think.....

Still to work out the VT dome style switch to work the interior lights and then looking to pull out the old auto and replace it with the other one I have then maybe check my finances to get the speedo and tacho working check ya later cheers
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #272
project VH
Executive Member

Hey guys still on the go slow with the VH, work and family commitments same ol same ol lol, Anyway the list still sit there looking at me on the fridge of still to do bits.
Speedo - either wire up as said last time or maybe its easier to just remove the mechinisim from the back of the VH speedo and replace it with the VN type only not sure if this would work correctly.
Tacho, change the auto over with the newer one I have, then check alignment along the drive train, Possibly change the diff to VN type (I might take a measurement of the drum diff in the car with the 16 inch 225 x 50s then add the extra length of the VN diff [57mm I think]), will this fit without rolling the guards, finish fitting up battery lead, bolt in the console, replace hand brake cable if changing the diff, finish tinting the side and rear glass, replace the pwr antenna, body chrome and new carpet better pull the digit out lol cheers

Last edited by project VH; 09-10-2012 at 07:28 PM..
Unread 16-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #273
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project vh

Well slowly but surely doing a bit got the auto out on Sunday to clean up gave it a degrease and a bit of new paint came up nice now waiting till my long weekend come cup day then ill pull out the old unit and replace it hopefully without dramas lol
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #274
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Well so far so good started yesterday in undoing and removing parts to remove the old auto from the car and let me say from what the gregorys book tells you and physically doing the job well had me letting go of a few coice words ha ha ha.
Anyway got the old unit out and setting up any missing on the newie from the oldie. Now to get it back under the car and plug it back in fingers crossed lol.
Unread 05-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #275
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Well the other auto is now in and bolted up and guess what still a small leak on it and now im starting to loose faith in the whole thing.
The auto I put in the VH over the weekend was out of a friends dads car the was pulled off the road but not long before hand the auto was serviced and this was going to be the end all of the leaking trans problem I had. Well now such luck it still leaks from the front of the auto and I guess it could be the tourqe convertor being the part from the other auto.
The convertor with the serviced trans I was unable to get from the car so I was hoping that mine was ok, but nope. Oh well looks like ill have to half pull this auto out to change the convertor is there any way to tell if it is the convertor or hoping maybe a new pan gasket could fix the leak.
If i put in a new gasket how tight will I need to do the bolts back up???
Cheers guys lets see where this goes otherwise it might pop up on ebay.
Unread 06-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #276
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Well the more and more I think about what else still to do on the VH and the cost along with the engineers cert, RWC and rego I feel im more leaning towards the ebay option and just cut my losses, don't seem to have enough time these days to work on it and when I do I don't have much in the way of funds.
If I was to sell her what sort or asking price sound about right for what I have so far????? was thinking round $700 or so any ideas cheers
Unread 06-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #277
Soul

Be a shame to sell after all the work you've done, finances are a pain but the end result is worth the struggle.....
Soul is offline   Reply With Quote