Express
Zoom | 4WD Action | Fast Fours | Aussie Brutes | HPI | Xtreme Holdens | Hot4s | Street Fords | Extreme Street | Caravan & Motorhome | Magstore
Back to Street Commodores Home Back to Street Commodores Home Current Issue
Unread 18-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #81
VK_3800
Executive Member

Ride: VK Commodore

The only relay I added was to make up for the single circuit VK headlight switch, which I don't think you need if the VS switch is OK? Everything else is standard VN, with the headlight relays in the box under the bonnet. Have you figured out which side of the low beam relay your problem is?
VK_3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #82
VK_3800
Executive Member

Where did your VN donor car come from? Some company vehicles are modified so that the lights go all the time (when ignition is switched on)
Unread 19-05-2010, 01:11 AM   #83
project VH
Executive Member

Ride: VH Commodore
Post Project VH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK_3800 View Post
Where did your VN donor car come from? Some company vehicles are modified so that the lights go all the time (when ignition is switched on)
Hi i havent yet had a good look at the wiring on the cars lights but i have been told that the VS commodores had negitive switching in the electrics and this may be the problem but im not totally sure what they mean by that. And im not sure where the donor car came from as the engine and other parts were already out of the car. I dont think that that is the problem as even with the switch off and the wires joined to what i think is correct the lows are still lit. Ill keep plugging away with it but.... cheers
project VH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #84
project VH
Executive Member

Post project VH

Hey there VK3800 just a quick message im going to start looking at the wiring to do the dash cluster and would like to know if the wire diagram i have for the cluster i have marked the correct wires to where they go.

Connector 1:
2x Brown/white - possible fuse7, efi control, brake fail
Light blue - LH turn
Black - Earth
Black/red - demister
Black - Earth
Pink/black - ingnition
Brown/red - tacho

Connector 2:
Purple/white - speed sensor
Dark blue - RH turn
Yellow - park brake light
Blue/red - oil pressure
Orange/white - fuse1 12v+
Blue/yellow - High beam relay
2x Grey - Instrament lamps
2x Brown/white - fuse 7, efi control unit, brake fail
Green - Cruise, anti theft or temp
Tan - Fuel

Connector 3:
Brown - alt
2x Pink/black - warnig lamps fuse 9, efi & demister relay, trip comp etc
Black/white - earth
Brown/yellow - efi control unit

I think ive got it correct but if you can have a quick look would be great thanks
Unread 19-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #85
VK_3800
Executive Member

OK I still think the factory manual is awful the way it spreads this info out over so many pages but I think I've figured it out. Its a pity that your cluster circuit sheet doesn't have the info printed on it like mine does, its so much easier!

Connector 1
1) Black/red 292 to R27 (demister relay) negative
4) Black 150 to harness main earth
5) Pink/black 39 to fuse 9
6) Brown/red 121 to tach
7) Black 150 to harness main earth
9) Light blue 14 to left indicator positive
10) Brown/white 35 (misprint? 35 is green - maybe 33 to brake fail warning switch and EFI module pin B2 negative)
11) Brown/white 419 to EFI module pin A5 negative (check engine light)

Connector 2
1) Grey 8 to S62 (dimmer switch) via YB65 negative
2) Grey 8 to S62 (dimmer switch) via YB65 negative
3) Brown/white 19 to fuse 7 / illumination positive
4) Brown/white 19 to fuse 7 / illumination positive
5) Green 35 to coolant temp
6) Tan 30 to fuel sender
7) Blue/yellow 10 to high beam relay negative
8) Orange/white 840 to fuse 1
9) Blue/red 31 to oil pressure switch
10) Yellow 209 to park brake warning switch
11) Blue 15 to right indicator positive
12) Violet/white 123 to speed sensor

Connector 3
2) Black/white 151 to direct earth
4) Brown/yellow 437 to EFI module pin A10
7) Pink/black 39 to fuse 9
8) Pink/black 39 to fuse 9
12) Black (changes to brown somewhere) 25 to generator (alternator)

Note the diodes in the diagram for several of these connections, and watch out because some of the colour double-ups are the same wire but some are different.
Unread 25-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #86
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

Hey guys just a quick question with the coil pack i have is from a series two VN/P/R/S not sure weather the VT onwards had the same sort but anyway reading the how to do on coil packs in this site i mentioned the earth wire needs to be reconnected when upgrading the series one pack to a s2, no prob but having a quick look at mine i dont see an earth wire there. So is it part of the VN s1 loom this earth wire or is it a sepparte bit that i can just get one from the wreckers or even make it. Also is the VP pack the same onwards to VS etc thanks
Unread 06-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #87
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

Well got the fuel lines from a VL commy and pulled out mine from the VH, also got the new fuel filter and breather hoses now just got to get there next week (weather permitting and kids lol) and finally get them into the old girl and connect the battery to the starter then hopefully turn the key and fire her up fingers crossed.
All doing good then the final bits of wiring with the lights and cluster then pretty much time to go see the engineer and vic roads to put her back into operation. watch this space.
Unread 13-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #88
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

Well so far so good this weekend i have got the VL fuel lines into the car and the fuel tank back into her as well as the breather hoses, just a few of them to finish being connected and the fuel feed and return lines to be connected to the tank and that job is done. The exhuast is 3/4 done just a few nipps and tucks then its done too.
Then only the Battery lead to tidy up a join to the starter and should be able to add a little fuel and turn the key to see what happens.
Then all going well just a few odds and ends to do and then start looking at the enginneer report and the RWC, cant wait cheers
Unread 14-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #89
VK_3800
Executive Member

So I take it you figured out the headlights in the end then?

Sounds like good progress, almost there
Unread 15-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #90
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

Um not really lol sort of put that one aside for the moment to work on the fuel lines etc so i can get it started. My biggist problem of late is the cold wet weather or work to go to when i really wanted to hook into it but finally got to it and done just the few breather hoses under the back to connect Poistive lead to the starter and fingers crossed engine starts up PLEASE lol.
Will keep you lot posted soon.......
Unread 19-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #91
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

A few steps closer now with the breather hoses done only to find that the filler neck near the opening has two more small pipes coming from it and not sure where they connect to as the service manual dont show them on the diagram?
Maybe i can just connect a hose from one to the other dont know, and now the battery lead has a kill switch key on it, may never need to use it but its there just incase never know. Next up is to join the starter motor to the battery and hook up the lead from the boot undernieth the car and a little fuel and finally listen to the sweet sounds of a V6 finally running. Will keep you posted just hold off with that rain please.
Oh has anyone put VN/S door handles and opener on the door trims inside on VB/L as i wouldnt mind changing the handles maybe on mine????
Unread 20-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #92
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

Quote:
So I take it you figured out the headlights in the end then?

Sounds like good progress, almost there
Hey mate just wanted to know if when i start the car for its first time with the V6 is there any checks i need to do like at the computer or anywhere else before i turn the key as im almost up to the point of doing that cheers. I still havent done to cluster and the low beam but i think this can be done after testing the running of the motor as long as i keep the three plugs for the cluster away from touching things while i do this.
Oh and hows the VK hope its fun to drive.
Unread 20-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #93
VK_3800
Executive Member

I'd make sure that the warning lights/gauges are hooked up just in case, but should be fine. The idle control will need resetting, hold at a couple of thousand revs for 10 seconds if I remember correctly, but not necessary to just make it run. I'm pretty sure mine ran without the instruments connected.

The VK is going well, the torque of these V6s always amazes me. Needs a bit of tuning to be ideal but I've been driving it for the past week with no hassles whatsoever.
Unread 20-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #94
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

Thanks VK3800 will do that when i get to starting her up by the way do you know if you need a earth wire on the series two type coil packs, mine dosent seem to have one and ive been told they prob dont need it as the module under it is smaller where the series one block type had a larger module and was earthed to help out? do i need to have one and what would be the easist way to add it in.
Unread 21-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #95
VK_3800
Executive Member

Don't know, mine's still original series 1 coil pack. There is at least one other earth attached to the DFI base plate though, I would have thought that it would get its connection through that plate which will be ample?
Unread 21-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #96
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

Thanks mate will just see how i go as i said i was told at the wreckers when i was there last that the s1 type needed an earth as the module plate was thick but the s2 type were thinner and shouldnt need one. thanks anyway.
Unread 21-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #97
VK_3800
Executive Member

I thought the plate earthed to the engine, and the other connections were sourcing (not supplying) an earth?
Unread 03-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #98
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

Hey guys been a while still not much further advanced but should be able to get into it sometime next week. VK3800 you are correct in that the bracket plate should be ample but if need i can put another earth in later but should be ok, i was just a bit confused when looking at the write up from there change over story for series one to two saying the remember the earth lead and i had a look to find i didnt have one, but it will have the earth from the braket.
Hopefully just have to screw in the battery lead to the body undernieth and connect to the satrter as well as a few hoses to the tank then we will see if she has any life in her fingers, hell every bloody thing crossed stay tuned....
Unread 06-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #99
BRM188
SV6 Member

Ride: VE SSV UTE, VY SV8 383

nice build mate i did one the same in my vh about 5 years ago for my first car built the motor up and i was a real little screamer had a t5 box in it and a vn lsd diff had some good times in it. good luck and looking forward to seeing it fully finished
BRM188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #100
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

Thanks BRM 188 do you have any pics of the car you did would be nice to see, weather permitting over the weekend ill try to do a bit to mine
Unread 22-07-2010, 01:16 AM   #101
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

Quote:
I thought the plate earthed to the engine, and the other connections were sourcing (not supplying) an earth?
Hey there VK3800 finally got myself a copy from ebay of the holden service man with all the wiring stuff in it would of been ever more handy if i had it right from word go when i first started to sort out the whole loom out of the car lol.
Any way a question for you if you could set me in the right direction, a mate of mine a little while back helped me with the wiring as i didnt have any power what so ever inside the car the only thing getting power was the alt. So having electical knowledge he had a look and we found that putting the pos lead from the battery to the bolt on the fuseable link bank we had problem solved and was able to nut out pretty much the rest of my wirings. But flicking in the book on page 12H - 30 it shows the earth lead onto it?
Now im not that up to speed on the whole electical side of things in the car and am wondering what in correct, if it should be the earth and not the pos does this mean i have to pull the lot behind the dash apart and redo it or is it just a case of change it to the earth lead or is it ok im confused please help thanks.
Unread 22-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #102
VK_3800
Executive Member

Interesting, my copy has the same error, GMH must have issued a separate correction at some stage. Anyway the book is clearly wrong, the fusible link must be on the positive side otherwise nothing will work. The top positive rail on the wiring diagrams is via the fusible link, and this part of my wiring harness is unmodified:

Don't change it.
Unread 22-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #103
project VH
Executive Member

Smile Project VH

Cheers mate thank you for checking that out i thourght in was a misprint in the book but wanted to make sure seeing my car is the same idea to yours. Hows yours going anyway no probs i hope.
Ive just got a few hoses to connect to the tank from the installed VL fuel lines, connect the battery cable to the starter, add the rest of the fluids then fingers crossed turn the key and see what happens. That being all good then just bleed the front brakes a little wiring in the dash including the cluster set up (should have another cluster to go in with in the next wekk or so) tidy up then start the engineers report and rwc process.
Thanks agian mate cheers.
Unread 22-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #104
VK_3800
Executive Member

Problems yeah, usual VN stuff - dodgy injector, ignition coils and leads all replaced now (good excuse to use a later Ecotec coil pack) along with a new set of plugs and it runs properly again. Have done a bit of tuning too starting from SV3800 spark and fuel maps and its getting there now, quite nice to drive.

Good to hear you're making progress, engine start always builds up the enthusiasm again!
Unread 30-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #105
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

Well guys its been a long while since i was last on here, i got back into the project after taking a bit of time away from her. Ive only got about a dozen or so things left to do but as the weather has been ordinary lately the project slowed down to a halt.
My aim at the moment is to try to get the car to a point where it will start and move under her own power by melb cup week so i better get to it, today i set up most of the power cable to run from the under hood fuse box to the starter to link up with the power cable back to the boot where the battery is now living.
Ive now only needing to join in the cable from the alt and bolt both the cables to the starter. I also have put back the air box into the bay as i had it out trying to sus out the prolem with the head lights. The problem is i have the lights wirered to the VN loom correct (I think) and joined at the VR/S style light switch on the dash, but the bit that a problem is that for some reason when i have it all wired i still get high and low beam on when the switch is off.
I put the parkers on and i get parkers, i get high beam with the turn switch set to high and when i turn it off i go back to lows but as i am using the VN loom with a VR/S light switch i have been told the VR/S switches use neg switching and the VN uses positve switching (I think thats the right way around) so i need to find out the way to set this up so that the lights work correctly.
I have probobly asked this already but if anyone can give me a hand in working this out it would be great, i do have copys of the wiring diagrams for bothe models if needed.
Othere things still to do is the dash cluster to be converted using the VN loom and cluster with a VK cluster surround as done by VK3800, check the fluids add fuel, bleed brakes, bolt in console, kick panels, little bits of the trim to tidy, check over the whole car (wiring,cables,hoses etc) then should be reay to key her on for the very first time in two years since she came off the road.
So guys fingers crossed all goes to plan then put the money togeather to get her RWC and Enginner report and down the road we go, i cant wait for that bit. Cheers guys be back soon
Unread 09-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #106
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Hey guys still stuck on my head light problem, as you know i have wired the VR/S headlight switch to a VN loom and running the normal VH head lights. I think the wirig is correct and when i put parkers on they work and low and high work to the trun switch but when i turn the lights and parkers off the head lights are still on low.
Now i seem to think that there is neg and pos switching on the set up that is causeing the problem but how to get around it im still not sure.
From the VR/S wiring diagram i have the switch it connected to Black to the body control (This i think would just end up being a earth), Blue to to coil end on the park lamp relay and the white/Black to the high/ low switch.
Now on the VN loom side of things (if i had the VN switch) i have the orange to the battery feed, brown to the parkers, Black to earth, and the white/Black to the high beam switch then its a white wire to the head lamp relay.
Sorry if this is confusing as it has done my head in for a while and to my understanding is that somewhere i need to change a wire to get the lights to go out when i turn the switch to off.
This is the only problem i have, i get the lights to work the right way only when turning off they are still on would someone out there have a clue to help PLEASE cheers guys
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #107
VK_3800
Executive Member

Hi project VH, made any progress?

If you're still having trouble with those headlights, I'd suggest removing the low beam relay to troubleshoot. Test the relay terminals with a multimeter (voltmeter) or test light one by one with the headlight switch and ignition switch at different stages. You should be able to identify which is not doing the right thing, and trace that wire back to the switch to see what's what.
Unread 10-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #108
project VH
Executive Member

Hey VK3800, not much progress lol there was a big master plan to have her at a stage last week to at least turn the key have her running and moving under her own power, but it never happen.
I got stuck into ebay last week as i had a week off and was looking for a new kitchen and gas heater for the house so um yeah my plan to get it somewhere didnt happen. Not enough hours in the day but hoping it will evolve to that stage before xmas.
Ill try that idea with the lights, as you know its pissing me off and will end up being a easy fix after spending weeks tring to get it right. Im going to the local swap meet this weekend to chase up the dash surround from a VK to get the dash like you did and some other little bits i need fingers crossed for the engine to run by xmas ha ha hope your having fun in the VK i love the progressive pics ya put up always good to see how guys go building there cars and what they did cheers
Unread 14-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #109
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

Well what a wet bloody time at the swap pretty much nothing there i needed but i did get my set of solex locks for the car and they only cost $20 and are pretty much brand new as the guy was going to put them in his commodore but he sold it before he did nice.
Now just to find a bit of time in the day and some good weather to get back to the old girl and get her done.
Unread 15-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #110
VBRED
Executive Member

Ride: Black VK Calais 333 Pack

Mate

I have been reading your post with interest. I am in Melbourne. It is good to see that everyone has there own way of doing things.

I have done a similar swap VR V6 T5 and VN V8 LSD diff running Walkinshaw alloys into my VB. Got it engineered and rego no problems. I have since changed the engine over to a L67 Supercharged six.

I kept the dash original except swapped for a VH with all gauges.

Keepup the good work.

Pete

Last edited by VBRED; 15-11-2010 at 10:23 PM..
VBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #111
project VH
Executive Member

Post Project VH

Hey guys just a few update pics two of the boot with the solex lock inplace, not sure if i will fill in the two holes from the badge for a clean look or place a badge back on her either the VH original lion or a later model type.
The other two pics show the strut tower caps i made up to tidy there looks. Will add soon more pics of the caps after i spray them gun metal grey and bolt them on with the chrome nots i have.
Starting to get back inn the swing of things to get her back on the road stay tuned.
Replying to VBRED: thanks for looking at my ride mate, i have looked at your ride on here before and you too have done a great job. My original idea for the VH was to run a EcoTech motor and box with a VT/Y dash and seats but looked far to much out of my budget for the build but i am very happy with her so far and its been a big learning curve and i love being able to help others and find out more info on this type of build from the others on here doing the same cheers
Unread 29-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #112
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Well then ok as you can see i havent yet got the VH running yet as the weather and some jobs around the house has slowed thing down but i am doing thing slowly like i now have the three solex locks in the car and have altered the caps that i made for the strut tower and now just have to paint them and bolt them into place.
I still need to chace up the VK dash surround from the wreckers for the VN cluster to sit into just like the way VK3800 has done on his VK.
Other things still to do is finish dash wiring, tint rest of the windows check all hoses, piping etc to be ready to start the car then a few fiddly bits then with some money in hand off to the enginner to get the report and then to Vic Rords fingers crossed, stay tunned........
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #113
andrew.hollier
SV6 Member

Ride: vs calais

nice how did u get the vr steering wheel on it .
andrew.hollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #114
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.hollier View Post
nice how did u get the vr steering wheel on it .
Thanks mate all i have done is use a column from a VN seeing that i have the front end on the VH from a VN the VR wheel bolted onto it. I was originally going to use a Non airbag type VS looking wheel but wouldnt bolt to the VN column so i got the VR but then later noticed that the wheel looked to out of place in the old girl cheers.
Unread 06-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #115
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Must get off my arse and back into doing some more to the old girl not a great lot to do but time to do it i think.
Unread 10-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #116
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Hey guys i have been doing a little more to the old girl and i have finally got the head light problem (adding the VR/S headlight switch into the VN loom) worked out. All that was needed was and relay and some extra wiring and hey presto head lights work correctly.
Ive also extended the wiring to the three instrament plugs behind the dash cluster so they are now easy to access, so now pretty much all the wiring is over and done with, stay tuned
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #117
VR-S-3800
Cruise 6 Volunteer!

Ride: [VRS-094]

Very nice! I like the way you have tried to make it look like a factory fit.
VR-S-3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #118
xmick
Pedestrian

G'day, where did you end up running the starter cable from the battery, under the car? I'm looking at moving my VH's battery in preperation for a engine conversion and can't decide where to run the cable.
xmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #119
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Hey mate ive just run the lead(this being an disused negative welding lead) under the car and into the boot above the diff and just going to use some saddle brackets to hold the lead beteen the boot and the starter. I have seen some other cars where they have run it inside along the trans hump or beside the doors.
I think under the car is safer but you will need to put some sort of shielding to cover it and keep it safe from any thing flicking under the car like rock etc, i just used a length of compressor air hose and put a slit down it to incase the lead.
Hope this is of help cheers.
Unread 13-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #120
project VH
Executive Member

Default Project VH

Finally solved the lighting problem 1st they low beam stayed on no matter where the haedlight switch was put, put in a relay and working fine now but then i ended up with no dash cluster lights but after some more looking on forum pages and now have them working too thank god at last lol